Welcome! It’s Wednesday, so that means it’s time for another Colour Me! challenge post. The challenge this week is to create a project using grey, yellow, and fuchsia.
I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned this before, but grey is my favourite colour so naturally I was pretty excited for this challenge. As usual, I have a video tutorial to share. You can watch it below, or on my YouTube channel.
When I started out with my card, I had a vague idea of where I wanted to go. The most solid idea was to use the Waves Background stamp and Distress Ink to create a bold background. I also knew that I wanted to use the large elephant from the Critters in the Jungle stamp set as my grey element.
Once the card was close to being assembled, I realized that it really needed something else. I decided the something else was a tiny and silly hat for my elephant. So, I did something I’ve never done before, I drew my own accessory.
I started in pencil, and once I was happy with the shape, I used a thin marker to trace the outline and coloured it in with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. I fussy cut it out, and then used a glue dot to adhere it to my elephant friend. I think this simple detail is what really brings this card to life.
Here’s the thing though, I am not very artistically inclined, so this was a BIG leap for me. I feel like my whole world has opened up now since I feel more confident to add my own simple elements to my projects. If you’re not sure about where to start, I recommend Googling some images to get you started and just experiment. I know there are accessory stamp sets available, but if you’re like me and have a limited stash, I think drawing your own really opens up options and helps you get more out of your supplies.
There is tons more inspiration over at the Colour Me! challenge. Make sure to check out the other designers–
- Antonia Speelman
- Bhavana Kesarkar
- Brenda Hofstatter
- Hayley Kew
- Jinny Newlin
- Kim Heggins
- Ren Loh
- Tara Bourgoin
- Valentyna Komisarenko
- and our August guest designer…Ceal Pritchett
- Ink: Memento, Tuxedo Black; Distress Ink (Mustard Seed, Picked Rasperberry); VersaFine, Onyx Black;
- Stamps: Hero Arts and Basic Grey, Waves Background; Lawn Fawn, Critters in the Jungle; Lawn Fawn, Love You Tons;
- Dies: Lawn Cuts, Critters in the Jungle;
- Cardstock: Recollections 110# white; Spectrum Noir, Ultra Smooth Premium, 100# cardstock; vellum;
- Colouring: Spectrum Noir Markers (IG1, IG2, IG4. PP3, BP2, BP6);
- Embossing: homemade anti-satic bag; Ranger Embossing Powder (Super Fine Detail) Clear;
- Tools: Ranger Mini Blending Tool; Fiskars SureCut Trimmer; Martha Stewart Mini Scoring Board; Pick-Me-Up Stick; Precision Tip Applicator Bottle; craft knife;
- Adhesive: foam tape; Zots Bling Glue Dots;
- Embellishments: Zig Wink of Stella Glitter Brush (clear); Pretty Pink Posh, 4mm, Sparkling Clear Sequins;
Thanks so much for dropping by! Until next time,