Watercoloured Alien Love Note

Cards, Techniques

I haven’t done any watercolouring for about 15 years. It’s a huge trend in the crafting world, so I finally broke out my Staedtler watercolor pencils and gave it a whirl. I wanted to make a little note for my nephew so this one had to be special! I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Watercolour Alien Love note My watercolour pencils came from my childhood craft box so the packaging is different, but they are the same product as the Karat Aquarell sold today. After 15 years they still worked perfectly.

I used watercolour paper for the background and touched the tip of the pencils to my wet brush and then applied it to the paper. I did try once by applying the pencil directly to the paper and then blending but I preferred the the softer look of applying the colour to the brush instead. I started with the darkest colour and faded it out over the sheet and then repeated with lighter hues and a little yellow to finish the effect. I dried the paper with my heat tool and then cut the orange piece into two sections for the landscape and adhered the landscape to the background using foam tape.

The alien shapes were left over from the birthday card for Danny. The paper wasn’t ideal for watercolouring since it was a thinner cardstock, but it worked out fine in the end. For the aliens, I started with my lightest colour and then blended in the darker.

Assembling my watercoloured aliens.

Assembling my watercoloured aliens.

I didn’t think googly eyes would work for the serene look of this card so I made my own using small black embellishments, a silver marker and glossy accents. I adhered the black embellishments in place and then made tiny silver dots on each eye to give the aliens some life. Finally, I covered each eye with glossy accents and let them dry. I finished each alien with a tiny red heart and adhered them to the background with foam tape.

The sentiment did not come out perfectly, but I think that it’s mostly due to the uneven texture of the watercolour paper. The first time I tried to stamp, it turned out even worse so I had to redo the background. This was my second attempt with the stamp I felt it was good enough. Stamping onto textured paper is something I will have to practice more for a better result.

Advertisements

Newton’s Nook Inky Paws Challenge #11 – Citrus Colors

Cards, Challenges

This week I discovered Newton’s Nook Designs. They make some of the cutest and quirkiest stamps I’ve seen so far on my crafting journey. My middle name is Brie (for real!) and when I discovered the Just Say Cheese stamp set I just about died. The set is filled with adorable cheese themed designs, including a “Brie Mine” sentiment.

I’ve been wanting to get into card challenges for a while but have been reluctant because I’m quite shy. I feel like I fit in over Newton’s Nook so I thought, why not? And here we are…Inky Paws Challenge #11 – Citrus Colors.

The challenge was to use bold citrus colours: lime green, lemon yellow, orange, and grapefruit pink. My card, below, is simple and fresh. Perfect for summer!

Inky Paws Challenge #11 - Citrus Colors using the Sunflower Freebie.

Inky Paws Challenge #11 – Citrus Colors using the Sunflower Freebie.

I don’t own any Newton’s Nook Design sets (yet!) so I downloaded the Sunflower freebie and imported it into Silhouette Studio. I traced the sunflower and removed the area that had the ladybug. When I originally sketched my card, I planned to use the ladybug, but once the card was assembled, I didn’t end up using it.

I had to extend some petals and the centre circle to fill in the area where I removed the ladybug but this was easy enough because the pattern was pretty symmetrical. I was able to duplicate and mirror the parts I needed and then place them manually.

I used orange and grapefruit pink for the flower petals, backed on some lime green patterned paper (from the 6X6 Lawn Fawn, Daphne’s Closet pad). I used some Bazzill Basics Dotted Swiss Cardstock in Rope Swing for the flower centres. You can’t really see in the photos, but there are tiny circles cut, just like on the original Newton’s Nook image.

Finally, I traced and cut the bloom sentiment using yellow cardstock.

To assemble the card, I started with the flowers by adhering the petals to the back of the centres and bent the petal edges inward using my finger nail. I then adhered the flowers to the lime green leaves.

I adhered the smaller of the two flowers to my A2 (4¼” x 5½”) craft card base using my tape runner, and then adhered the larger flower using foam tape to add some dimension. I applied the word using modest amounts of my Zig 2 Way Glue Pen on the backside of the sentiment.

Finally, I used some twine and tied a simple bow and rounded the bottom corners.

Thanks to Newton’s Nook for the opportunity to participate in this fun summertime challenge.