Last week I had a blast playing along with friendly folks over at the Colour Me…! Challenge Blog. This week, I had even more fun experimenting with different ways to add monochromatic colour to my card.
So, the CMCC #32 this week was to create a project using only one colour, Pistachio Pudding.
I’ve mentioned before that I am new to the crafting scene, so I had to scrounge in my stash to find some paper (or anything at all!) that was close to the Stampin’ Up colour. What I found, was a single piece of My Mind’s Eye 6X6 patterned paper with a pale green chevron. I actually made a card using just neutral and that patterned paper that I will show at the bottom of this post. After my first attempt, I realized that I wanted more options with the colour so I popped over to my local Home Depot and selected a few paint swatches that were close in colour to the green of my lonely chevron paper. I liked the Behr swatches best because they were the largest (about 3½X6½”). Also, FREE…I love crafty scrounges.
Here is my final card:
I bought a dinosaur file from Silhouette this week, so I’ve had dino on the brain. I’m still using up the $10 that came free with the machine and from time to time will buy something new to inject a little creativity into my projects.
To make my CMCC#32 card, I started by making a stencil in Silhouette Studio by lining up rows of dinosaurs that were about 1″ high. I cut the stencil out of scrap cardstock. Next, I cut the t-rex out of a heavy grey cardstock. I slowed my machine way down because of the weight of the paper, and detail of his teeth (1cm/sec). The last thing I cut was the ‘dinomite!’ speech bubble using one of my paint chips. I struggle with photographing my cards, so the photo doesn’t show it, but there is a perforated line (“stitched”) cut just inside the speech bubble. In real life it adds a small detail. Below is a picture of everything I cut from the Silhouette.
My homemade dinosaur stencil cut from my Silhouette Portrait.
I used a piece of light grey cardstock and my homemade stencil with Versa Watermark Ink to create the soft background. I trimmed my patterned paper to about 4X5¼” and adhered it to my craft cardbase with my tape runner. After letting the ink dry, I trimmed my stenciled background to 3¾X5″ and then right through the centre on a diagonal. I used foam tape to adhere the two background triangles to the cardbase.
I punched a tiny heart from the paint swatch and adhered it with Tombow Mono Liquid Glue to my dinosaur. I then used a tiny black embellishment, a silver maker and Glossy Accents to make the eye. Once the eye was dry, I adhered the dinosaur to the card using foam tape.
I decided to use the speech bubble with the ‘dinomite!’ cut out, and adhered a piece of the dark grey cardstock behind the sentiment. I used two layers of foam tape to adhere the speech bubble to the card.
I did go back afterwards and add some sparkles (pale green) and Glossy Accents over the sentiment. I think if I did this card again I would skip this step.
The final card is very cartoony with plenty of dimension. Perfect for my baby nephew.
This was my first attempt at the monochromatic CMCC#32.
My card was chosen as a Colour me…Colour Connoisseur this week. Thanks DT!