The Friday Mashup Challenge: FM177

Cards, Challenges, Masculine Card, Thank You Cards

This week the Friday Mashup Challenge put me right into the fall spirit. The weather near Georgian Bay has been cool all weekend and there is no break in sight. I don’t mind though, I’m cozy inside with my pups, Zip & Zoë (Z²).

Ok, so the FM177 challenge this week was to create a project that followed a sketch, or to create a project with ‘leaves’, or mashup both challenges into one project.

To play along, I decided to do the Friday challenge, Mashup style, and created a project that followed the sketch and incorporated leaves. Here it is:

My FM177 card

My FM177 card

To make this card, I started in Silhouette Studio and created the leaf stencil, the stitched circle, and the leaves. With my Silhouette Portrait I cut the leaves out of Cotman 140lb watercolour paper and the stencil from a scrap of cardstock.

I cut a piece of 120lb white cardstock to 4″ x 5¼” to use as the background. I temporarily adhered my stencil to the background and covered the edges with Post-It tape before I used a makeup sponge to sponge on Gathered Twigs Distress Ink (yes, my one and only). To add just a touch of sparkle and dimension, I smushed on some bronze ink then removed the stencil. Before I put my sponge away, I sponged the edges of the white background and the vellum circle with my Distress Ink.

I used my Staedtler watercolour pencils to paint my leaves. After giving them plenty of time to dry, I used a balled up piece of wax paper and the Gathered Twigs ink to dab on some speckles. Once the ink was dry, I used my bone folder to score some vein lines onto the leaves.

I adhered the vellum circle over top of the stenciled leaves using tiny drops of Tombow Mono liquid glue on the white areas of the background. I tied a small bow with twine and then adhered the leaves and bow using Tombow Mono liquid glue directly over the vellum. To add a bit more dimension, I curled the edges of the leaves with the help of my trusty bone folder.

Using SSS Lipstick Red ink, I stamped the Thankful sentiment from the SSS Favorite Flowers set.

I mounted the whole card on a red-brown A2 card and called it a day.

Thank you so much for dropping by! Have a great week!

Advertisements

The Friday Mashup Challenge: FM170

Cards, Challenges, Techniques

I was delighted to find the Friday Mashup! challenge blog this week. Two challenges in one! My creative juices were flowing immediately. Each week two challenges are presented. Crafty participants can incorporate one, or both into their papery creations.

This week’s challenge (FM170) was to create a project using the sketch and to create a project using the Delft Tile Technique.

I opted to mash it up and incorporated both challenges into my card.

 

Delft technique card for the Friday Mashup FM170 challenge

Delft technique card for the Friday Mashup FM170 challenge

This was my first time trying the Delft Technique so the background took a few tries, but I am satisfied with the finished project. In real life I think the card is more shimmery than my photo captures.

For this card, I kind of cheated by using a piece of My Mind’s Eye, Now & Then patterned paper instead of stamping my own background. I cut and scored the patterned paper to the same measurements as the tutorial. After scoring, I sponged on a light touch of Archival Brilliance Platinum Planet ink using Post-it tape to mask off each section.

Next, I repeated sponging, again with the Post-it tape mask, but with Versa Color 55 Umber Ink.

To create my embellishment, I cut out six five-petal flower shapes (say that 10 times fast!) using my Silhouette and coloured each one with a cherry red marker. I dabbed on some copper ink and then bent the petals into shape. I glued three flower shapes together to make the larger flowers using Tombow Mono Multi Glue. To finish off each flower, I adhered some sequins to the centres using Glossy Accents.

Three part flower embellishments for the Friday Mashup FM170 challenge

Three part flower embellishments for the Friday Mashup FM170 challenge

For the sentiment, I cut out a tag shape (using scissors) from some seafoam green cardstock and then dabbed on a smidge of Platinum Planet ink and stamped thankful with my 55 Umber. I used a 3/16″ brad to finish the tag.

I adhered the wood veneer piece to the background with glossy accents and then used foam tape to adhere the tag and flowers. I backed the whole Delft background on some textured teal cardstock and then adhered the whole thing to my cardbase.

Thanks for stopping by! I had a blast playing along.